Thursday, October 6, 2011

Considering Loss...

I'd like to take a moment away from the frantic tales of our lives in Japan to talk about loss.
I think it is important to think, once in a while, about loss. About losing things. About losing people.

Yesterday the world lost yet another wonderful human.

This is a great loss.

Steve Jobs was a particularly wonderful human because the effects and products of his wonderfulness touched millions of people.


But it is important to remember that he was human.

He had pet peeves and bad habits and faults...just like the rest of us.

He made mistakes and doubted himself and lost his temper once in a while...just like the rest of us.

He had a favorite sandwich, a favorite t-shirt and, most likely, a favorite coffee he would order at Starbucks.

He worked and wondered and loved....just like the rest of us.

I never met Steve Jobs.

But I know these things because he was human.
Like me.
Like you.
Like all of us.
Like the other wonderful humans whom we've all lost over the years.

So I'm going to let myself feel sad, and feel the loss of a wonderful human.

I'm going to add his face to that special place in my heart and mind where I store the memories of all those whom I've lost and whom I miss.

And in those moments when my world is quiet and still, I'll open up these memories and marvel that these wonderful humans touched my life...in ways big and small. And I'll smile through the tears.

Because it is important to think, once in a while, about loss.




No comments: