Friday, May 30, 2014

As It Turns Out, Mirrors Reflect.....Not Much

Every morning the first thing most of us do is to stare at ourselves in the mirror.  Whether we stare with delight, despair  or shoulder-shrugging ambivalence, we all see the same thing--us as we think we must be.  We must be who we see in the mirror, because mirrors can't lie, right?

But is that really how we are seen by the rest of the world?  By the people around us?

Or do we judge how we look just as surely as we know others judge us?

Living in Japan as a non-Japanese person, I wear my face a bit more obviously than most people living ensconced in their home countries.

While back in California I'm pretty unremarkable, here I am noticeably different--my face, my walk, my clothes, certainly my speaking skills and even philosophy on life.  My differences are made apparent to me every time I step outside my front door.  It's not a bad thing.  It's not a good thing.  It's just reality.

So clearly, how the Japanese people surrounding me see me is very different than how I see me.

When I am in California or even around other foreigners here in Japan,  I am again seen differently.

Case in point, in California, when I am shopping at a grocery store and buy a six pack of beer for Bob, I'm no longer carded.   If I go out to a restaurant or club with friends, I am not carded.

I clearly look over 21 in California.

So last night I went out with some other teachers and friends. At the entrance to the club each of the people in the line waiting to get in was methodically eyeballed and asked for ID.

All the friends I was with are probably about 10 years younger than I am.
Each of them were eyeballed and asked for their ID.

I stepped up and was eyeballed.

I had actually  begun turning towards the door, assuming that they wouldn't ask me for my ID.

And they did.

Which, to be honest, kind of delighted me.  But it also got me thinking.

I thought how interesting it was that I could be the same person everywhere I went, and yet be seen so differently.

And when I woke  up this morning, brushed my teeth and stared at my own tired face in the mirror, I wondered "I wonder if that is what everyone sees when they look at me."

Then I realized that it really doesn't matter how anyone else sees me.  And it actually doesn't matter how I see me.

All that really matters is that I'm here and I'm okay.

No matter what the mirror says.

Until next time.






No comments: