Friday, January 20, 2017

Today's Para-Rant: It's a Done Deal--Sort Of

Today is January 20th, 2017.  
The day of Donald Trump's Presidential Inauguration.

Short of some sort of unidentifiable cataclysm, Donald Trump will be sworn in as the President of the United States.

And while I am full of doubt and dread at what a Trump Presidency will do to our nation,  I am maintaining hope.

For those of you who voted for Mr. Trump, I do not hate you.  I absolutely do not understand your reasons for voting for him.  I do not understand how you could not see the evidence before you that broadcast repeatedly what kind of person he is, and pointed to what kind of leader he might become.  But I give you the benefit of the doubt that desperate times can make any of us susceptible to believing that maybe hope really can come in the form of a rich song-and-dance man.  

Over the course of the next  6 months to a year, we will all very clearly face the reality of how terribly unprepared and ill-suited Mr. Trump is for the monumental task of leading this country. It is a job he never should have sought and I think, now, a job he is realizing he might not want.  

When the evidence of this is clear and irrefutable even by Mr. Trump's staunchest, loudest supporters, I will continue to place my hopes into the collective hidden hearts of people.

There will always be people who hate without reason, who strike out with horrible words and violence against those who they either won't or can't understand.

But most people want simple things--a place to live, food to eat, care when they are sick and people to share lives and love with.  Most people want to be happy, to have opportunities to work and create and thrive.  Most people want harmony over argument, contentment over upheaval.  And most people, when faced with a real, serious, frightening shared problem, are able to put aside their pride and anger  in order to work together to fix what is broken.

None of us will thrive in a country shrunken by ignorance, twisted by hate and bankrupt both financially and morally.

Sure, I'm unhappy now.  But I'm willing to wait.

Even this storm must pass.

No comments: